Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Veterans Day 2020

Happy Veterans Day to all my fellow Americans.  Today we remember & are grateful for all the people who have served & who are serving our country in military service.  That includes my hubby & his father along with a lot of other relatives. 
We had miserable weather yesterday, but today we have blue sky with clouds & sun.  The big parade was cancelled due to Covid continuing to surge, but the National Guard did a flyover in F15 Eagle fighter jets.  They flew right over our house exactly at the scheduled time & it was amazing!  I'm baffled that my neighbor who has 3 flag poles (visible in the background) & a family member on active duty is not flying one flag today.  I saw them inside their house during the flyover, while last year they were outside with their grandson excitedly waiting to see the jets.  Flying the flag is American.  It's not a statement that you do or do not like the election results.  Such a sad time in our history.
I was a little stumped by the ITP PTI challenge to make a Folk Art card.  I don't have any stamp sets labeled Folk Art, but I do have Twig Wreath which I thought might work.  Here's my simple card. 
Actually it was fun to do something very different than my usual.  Many years ago at a Stamp Convention, Nami of DeNami Design showed how to punch 2 holes in the center of a panel/card front, wrap ribbon/twine across the front & bring the ends through the holes.  Then you simply tie a knot & a bow.  I added several pieces of cardstock behind the panel before adding it to the Classic Kraft panel.  


 
Thanks so much for taking time to stop by.  If your blog address is in your profile or comment, I will visit you.


16 comments:

  1. Darling card Greta! Please express my gratitude to your hubby for his service!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your card might be simple, but is so very sweet, greta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty card, Greta! Wonderful design and color! Thank you to your husband for his service! My father, nephew, and husband served in the army. I have a BIL and another nephew who served in the navy. I thank all who have served!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It may be late but thank S for his service. I love to see the flag flying on a pole or a building/house. Not too fond of seeing ripped ones on the backs of SUVs or trucks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have nailed the folk lore card perfectly. Stay safe and well in these worrying times. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful card with a genius of a technique x.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like folk art to me, Greta - love it!! Glad you had a happy Veteran's Day. A local grocer was providing free breakfasts to vets and active duty military but the drive thru line was too long. Dad had a nice breakfast at home and my brother was already at work! Thankful for their service and those in your family and everywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A gorgeous card Greta and folk art I think! I'd forgotten about the holes and ribbon, thanks for the reminder :)
    It must have been wonderful to be underneath the fly pass and very poignant that this year memorials have had to be cancelled or curtailed. I enjoy the Memorial Service at the Cenotaph in London, on TV, so moving not to see the Veterans there this year.
    Faith x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun card design Greta, not looking forward to the wind storm and rain again.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your card has a folksy art feel to my eye. Tiny images and delicate wording. It looks lovely. It must have been impressive to be right beneath the fly over. Our state is Covid free at the moment, but we are planning on opening up to Victoria where they've had lots of cases up until the last fortnight. It makes me feel nervous. Necessary I know, to stimulate trade and the economy. Keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did good with your idea for the folk art card. I had forgotten the technique for tying ribbon/twine. Looks good on your card. COVID really has played havoc this year. We had one case of unknown origin in our city yesterday and everyone is getting worried again. Take care Greta.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, very hard to define exactly what folk art means but I think your card is great. thanks for the tip re adding ribbon. I will have to try it. Shame about your neighbours xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a pretty, CAS design, Greta and your bow finishes it off perfectly. I love the folksy feel too. Our Remembrance Day services were curtailed in the UK too - so many things have been affected by the dreaded Covid!
    I hope you are keeping well and have a good weekend.
    Hugs
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your design works perfectly for a folk art card.. the perfect stamps! We don't fly flags here though one or two do... Most only fly flags for their football teams when there is a final on... Have a beautiful day my friend

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to stop by. If your blog address is in your profile or comment, I will visit you.