Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Time Out Challenge #265

Hard to believe, but it's already June and school will soon be out in our neck of the woods.  I enjoy seeing all the flowers when I walk Fritz.  Speaking of flowers, Time Out Challenges wants you to be Inspired by Words using the quote by Henri Matisse.  You can use the entire quote or any of the words.  The winner chosen by the DT will get a $15 store credit from our sponsor, Altenew, as well as an invitation to guest design for a future challenge. 
I bought my first die cutting machine so that I could use embossing folders.  Before I began making cards, my favorite stationary was dry embossed.  I finally bought a die cutting machine months after they came out when I learned they were used with embossing folders which cost a lot less than dies.  Of course, my "no buying dies" resolve soon ended! 😀 
I'm hooked on 3D embossing folders and the black out technique that is so popular right now.  I've used black and dark blue for the background previously, but have been wanting to see how dark brown would look.  Here's the result.
I used Altenew's Flower Bed 3D folder and colored the debossed side of the panel with Distress Oxides Worn Lipstick, Fossilized Amber and Cracked Pistachio.  It's not precise coloring, so is fast and stress free.  I dried the ink and then swiped my Versafine Clair Acorn ink pad over the panel.  That's when the detail of the debossed design really shows.  Again, it's not precise, but I really like the look.  You do want to use a light hand with the dark color (especially is you have a juicy pad) and just repeat until you're happy.  Most of the examples I've seen add splatters and I do prefer my panels after they're splattered. 
For this card I used both white and gold.  I decided a bit more gold was needed, as my splatters are tiny.  An old Pentel Sparkle Pop gel pen in my stash still works perfectly.  That's what I used to color the flower centers and the stitching of my Frantic Stamper Arch diecut.  I got the Arched Labels in 2017 before they were so popular, as I loved a card using a "banner" die that a friend sent me.  We both searched for months to find a die similar to the retired one that she used.  Now everyone has caught up to us and lots of companies have Arch dies, which I still love.  This time I decided to make a frame with the 2 largest dies, as well as making a shaped card.  Poppystamps Scribble Hello was die cut from SSS Matte Gold cardstock, stacked and glued in place.  I stamped just the word friend from a PTI Scripted sentiment in Acorn ink and added Altenew Satin Gold sequins.  There's lots more inspiration at Time Out Challenges along with all the details.  Hope to see you in the gallery.
I'm entering Die Cut Divas and Inkspirational.

Thanks so much for taking time to stop by.  If your blog address is in your profile or comment, I will visit you.


18 comments:

  1. totally amazing Greta. Such a fabulous card. Happy to see you join us at Die Cut Divas, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't embossing folders moved on since then Greta, I remember my trusty green Cuttlebug. Really liking the arch shape of your card.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the flowers and elegant shape!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty with the arch and colored debossing, Greta!! Glad you entered at Die Cut Divas too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this one. That technique works really well with the brown. You obviously were right about the arched dies. I don't have any - yet! Love the card xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful colour mix Greta, love this card, and it's die, a beautiful card. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that technique but haven't tried it with other than black. I really love the brown with the soft pink and green, Greta. There is so much dimension and texture on your amazing card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is stunning, Greta. I have yet to try this technique, but I surely love the results you are getting and I LOVE the brown background with the other colors you chose. The dome shape bumps it up another notch. I just LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love how you used the brown for this black out technique, Greta! I just did one using black. I think I like the look of brown better. The color of your flowers with the brown is so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty take on the blackout technique, Greta. Using brown brings a lovely softness to the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This turned out wonderful! I always struggle with this technique. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So lovely Greta and a process I am still trying to learn to do well. Yours turned out perfect! Sorry I have not been around lately, I cannot comment on your blog from my iPad which is where I do most of my commenting from. It wants me to login to Google but I'm already logged in. This is a Blogger problem that I was hoping they would fix. I don't fire the desktop up very often.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful card Greta. I love playing with this fun technique. The brown has given it an antique look. Love it! I hope you have a good week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks AMAZING Greta; thank you for sharing at INkspirational~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the vintage vibe these colours create and the shaped card Greta! Fabulous! Hugs, Kate

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so amazing, Greta! The brown card stock gives such nice effect. Thank you for sharing. Hugsxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic results here. Wonderful card. So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas this month. Arlene with Die Cut Divas

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pretty card. Great job with the stitching on the arched frame. Thanks for joining us at Die Cut Divas.

    sue n.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to stop by. If your blog address is in your profile or comment, I will visit you.