Saturday, July 6, 2013

Just Playing

Had a couple challenging days at work, so decided to try some techniques without worrying about a deadline or challenge requirements.  I've been wanting to color paper by patting & dragging it through ink that's been spritzed on my craft sheet.  I used watercolor paper with Distress Inks tea dye, bundled sage & peeled paint.  I dried between colors & it was OK, but not quite what I wanted so I sponged on more ink.  Then I stamped Penny Black's verdant, 4310K, with peeled paint & spritzed with Ink Potion #9.    My friend, Sue, makes the most beautiful backgrounds--often dry embossing after stamping. Decided to give it a try with my Cuttlebug folder, Kassie's Brocade.  The effect was magical!  Next I spritzed with Tattered Angels Copper mist & distressed the edges.  It's so beautiful in person I didn't want to cover it up.  Decided to just add a sentiment from Penny Black's edge to edge, 30-164, copper embossed on vellum.  I inked the back using tea dye & trimmed the ends.  Finished off with some green twine (toned down with the tea dye) & a brown button.  I feel renewed & ready to work on some challenge cards now.
If you're looking for inspiration, don't miss the 3 Saturday Extravaganza posts today on the Penny Black blog. 
I so appreciate your taking time to leave me a comment--always makes me happy.  Enjoy your weekend.

17 comments:

  1. Lovely technique! Turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out GREAT Greta and I like the colors you've combined! The botanical stamps were the perfect choice too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greta, this turned out so beautifully! Thanks for explaining what you did, (you can be sure I'll try it!). Just joined as a new follower, and will be back to visit when I can. Your embossing after the background was created - added so much dimension, and your vellum sentiment was just perfect. Didn't cover up all your hard work. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your background turned out just beautiful Greta. Nice colours and the use of the vellum was an inspired move. It really seems to float over the background.

    ReplyDelete
  5. its 4 am and I can't sleep. thought I would peek in and see what you have been up to. I love this technique and the results are beautiful!! :) there's a very soft gentle feel to this design!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes... sue is the master of gorgeous inked and embossed backgrounds, but I think this card gives her a good run for her money, greta... the background piece looks like a rich piece of brocade fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear you have had challenging days at work! I can 't even imagine ;-)
    Your card is gorgeous in these muted tones!
    Hope you have a very good and restful Sunday~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous design, love the texture & the wonderful inky colours ! Shirleyx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Greta,
    I am so happy you dry embossed after you inked your paper, because now you know why I like this technique so much, a prosaic bg can be given a new life by just going a step further. Your muted tones adds so much warmth to the card, the minimal elements also adds that extra interest.
    It is a gorgeous card.
    Smiles :-)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful card!Love the design,Colors are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope things get a little easier at work:). I really love the texture the embossing gives to your bg! Looks like you really enjoyed the creative process and that's a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Greta - embossing after inking is something I've never thought of trying, and in your hands, the results are stunning! The sentiment stamped on vellum is the perfect touch; such beauty certainly deserves to be showcased, just as you did! Yet again, something pretty + something learned at your blog! Hope your 'play time' has rekindled your spirit. I can only imagine how challenging your days must be in your nursing role, but I know that your gentle, compassionate nature has a positive impact on those whose lives you touch! Sometime, though, the 'giver' needs some time to replenish and a 'just because' card is the perfect prescription! Hope your Sunday was fantastic!
    c

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW, Greta! What a FABULOUS card! I love the inking & the texture!
    AMAZING results...and beautifully done!

    Hope all goes well at work this week for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Playing and getting messy with inks usually manages to lift my spirits too :) I do feel bad for people who don't have an activity they enjoy to help them unwind after the tough days.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The dry embossing is awesome. You have some very inspirational craft friends!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Greta, this technique looks wonderful. I'm sure it looks even more gorgeous in person, love those subtle muted tones, beautifully done!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to stop by. If your blog address is in your profile or comment, I will visit you.