Thursday, May 9, 2013

Coloring & Stamping on Fabric


for family challenge

I did it--opened my new jar of Gesso & painted it onto a piece of cloth die cut with Spellbinders Reverse Wonky Rectangles.  When it was dry, I covered it with Distress Stains.  It took quite a bit of playing to get a look I thought would work & actually came close to discarding it & starting over.  Once in a great while I do some stitching by hand on a card, but since this was fabric I actually decided to use my sewing machine--another first!  You may not be able to tell, but Penny Black's Lace Flower is randomly stamped with the blue stain.  The sentiment, Penny Black's Beauty, is stamped with Staz On black.  The flowers were so light I wanted a bit more design, so I took the 2 little butterflies from Penny Black's illumination set & stamped them using VersaMagic inks close to the stain colors--now I was getting somewhere!  I made a little tulle rolled flower & attached it to a felt one cut with Tim Holtz Tattered Florals die.  I dabbed stain on the ends of the felt petals & colored a piece of lace with the stain.  To give it body, the fabric is attached to a thin piece of cardboard.  The card front is made with Penny Black's berry wreath inked with the pink stain & spritzed before stamping.  I used a paint brush to add some watered down blue stain & covered it with watered down silver stain which gives a metallic sheen. This doesn't look like a thank you card, but it is.  I'm sending it with a coffee shop gift card to a lovely woman who has been helping us implement an entirely new computer system at work.  She's a supervisor at our company's hospital over an hour away & yet she's come for 5 days & I know her own work is piling up.  I've known her for years but only by phone & I truly count her as a friend now.  I'm adding this card to Penny Black's For Family (or friends) challenge.  I'm always open to suggestions from my talented blogging friends.  I look forward to reading your comments.


18 comments:

  1. I love it, Greta! Yay for using new products! I recently bought some Gesso and have been playing with it too - nothing as pretty as this - mine HAVE all ended up in the garbage! I love the soft colors you used! Beautiful stamping and gorgeous, little flower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Greta
    Well I think you know what I am going to say.....Love It, Love It, Love It.
    I love fabric, so any creation with this medium I am going to gush. The Gesso substrate has softened the colours of your stains, relating a softness and warmth and I so want to touch it.
    If you want the colour to be brighter Greta, apply your Gesso in patches on your fabric after you have coloured it up, you can also run it through an embossing folder to give you more texture, make sure your Gesso is completely dry first though.
    A gorgeous card.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Sue, your use of fabric is stunning. I love the way the stains look on top of the gesso. The colour combo is such a pretty mixture. A beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is really stunning Greta!!!! You really achieved such a soft and dreamy quality using this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo for all of your firsts Greta! You did an amazing job, this tured out to be such a pretty little work of art. Your new friend is one lucky lady to be receiving it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful colors and textured background with Gesso! I love how you used it on the wonky diecut. The receiver of this card is going to love it! What a great friend you are, Greta!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Greta, I noticed you mentioned you were open to suggestions from blogging friends. I have one small comment: Thank you for creating and sharing your artwork! I enjoy reading about the challenges you enter and all the different techniques you use. I appreciate all the time you put into sharing these posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really gorgeous colors and design!! Beautiful!! :) Have a great weekend! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah! Fabric on a card!!
    I love your card Greta.
    It's got a lovely texture to it, gorgeous blend of colors...
    Absolutely gorgeous!
    It will be greatly cherished no doubt...

    Take Care my Friend~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully crafted - the colors look so dreamy over the gesso! Love this card!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the wonky rectangle and I really like this card! So cool it is made from fabric and you sewed it as well! I never learned how to use my sewing machine and I should so I can stitch my cards as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful colors! Love to see you trying new products and techniques. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi Greta, such a wonderful process went into creating your card, love the sewing stitches and soft color combo. wishing you a beautiful weekend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounded like a long process but the end result is worth it, Greta! Amazing result for your first try! I have never tried gesso before but will give it a try one day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. gorgeous! a card of firsts! i'm glad you cracked open these goodies and techniques, the end result is a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW!! I love how you stamped on and colored up that diecut piece of fabric. This makes for such a lovely card. Super design!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh WOW!! BEAUTIFUL!! I LOVE this FUN idea and the AMAZING Colors you used!! THANKS for sharing this Fun Technique and have a FABULOUS week!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful card and so special!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to stop by. If your blog address is in your profile or comment, I will visit you.